How to Check for Bed Bugs? This is a common question I get from clients in the Nokomis area. In most cases, the clients brought home the bed bugs after traveling and staying in hotels. To avoid this happening to you, I have written down some signs to be aware of when checking into a hotel. The increase in travelers from all over the world has led to a bed bug epidemic. Hotels and other overnight accommodations play an important part in the spread of bed bugs to other places including your home. Look for the warning signs when you check into your room.
The first thing you need to know is what you are looking for. Below are the signs that bed bugs may be present:
- Live Bed Bugs – Bedbugs are very small about 5-6 mm in size, which is the size of an apple seed or smaller. They are flat, oval-shaped and a reddish-brown color. They have six legs and two antennae. They crawl but do not jump or fly.
- Bed Bug Eggs – Eggs are very small, but are usually in clusters. They are pearly white or clear and about the size of a sesame seed.
- Shed shell or skin – A bed bug sheds its skin in order to grow and move on to the next stage of their life cycle. This means they shed their out casings five times. You will see shells of different colors depending on the stage of life they are in. The shells look just like the bug.
- Stains – Once a bed bugs take a blood meal, they defecate almost immediately. This leaves behind dark stains that look like a felt tip marker stain. You will also notice bloodstains that happen when the engorged bug is accidentally crushed.
How to Check for Bed Bugs in a Hotel
When checking into a room inspect for the signs above in the:
- Bed including the mattress, frame, headboard, pillows, blankets, sheets and box spring. Pull the bed away from the wall if possible to check behind the headboard.
- Nightstands, both inside, and out.
- Check the closets, and any extra blankets or pillows.
- Any upholstered furniture, chairs and sofas. If the sofa is a pull-out, open it up for a full inspection.
- Check guest reviews! Even the best hotels have had issues with bed bugs. Ask the hotel if the matter has been dealt with.
If after all your hard work, you still believe you brought bed bugs home with you, give us a call to inspect your home.
Since bed bugs hide in a wide range of places, they are not easy to remove. All American Pest Service does a thorough investigation to find where they are hiding and breeding. In addition to carefully checking mattresses and box springs, they will check rugs, other furniture and even the moldings in your Nokomis home.
Bed Bug Facts:
- Bed bugs are small wingless insects that feed on the blood of warm-blooded animals.
- Most bed bugs feed on their hosts while they are asleep.
- The peak time for feeding is between midnight and 5 am.
- Bites can be seen quickly but may take up to 14 days to become visible.
- Bed bugs need to feed regularly to reproduce, lay eggs and survive.
If you are in the Nokomis area and suspect bed bugs, give All American Pest Control a call today. The bed bug problem will just increase and get larger as time goes by. We use a number of tools and strategies to determine if your home is infested with bed bugs. Using All American early in the process can literally save you thousands of dollars down the road.
Contact All American Pest Services in the Nokomis area at 941-202-9270
Sarasota, Siesta Key, Osprey, Nokomis, North Port, Venice, South Venice, Englewood, Laurel, Vamo, Palmetto, and Bee Ridge