With its warm, humid climate, Florida makes a great home for most types of termites. Termites can cause massive damage to your property before you even know you have a problem. That’s because termites eat wood from the inside out.
Do you suspect you may have these unwelcome visitors in your home? Here are five “dead giveaways” to help you identify if you have an issue with termites.
- Termite Swarms – It’s springtime in Florida, and like many other species, it’s mating season for termites. If you see a swarm around your home, it’s likely they hatched nearby. You might also see wings on the window sills inside your home, either with or without seeing an actual swarm. Termites and flying ants look a lot alike, so catch one and bring it into us or send us a picture. We’ll help you determine if it’s a termite.
- Piles of “Frass” – If you see a pile a mixture of sawdust and termite waste (frass) near the wood of your home, look for irregularly shaped holes in the wood above the frass pile. It’s a sign you may have termites.
- Mud Tubes – Inspect the foundation of your home. Look for dirt tubes running from the ground up under the siding of your home.
- Soft or Cracked Wood – Unfortunately, this is how most homeowners discover a termite infestation. Termites feed on wood from the inside out, leaving a weak shell on the outside of the wood. Get professional help immediately if you discover soft wood that crumbles in your hand when you apply minimal pressure.
- Fecal Droppings Inside the Home – If you see small holes in furniture or walls, probe the area to see if the fecal matter falls out of the holes. If you see additional droppings after cleaning, you may have an active colony.
If you see one or more of these signs in or around your home, please call All-American Pest Services right away! We will help determine if you have termites and rectify the infestation – no matter how severe. Want to be proactive? We also provide termite prevention services. Call us at: 941-202-9270.