In North Port, Florida, mosquitoes and mosquito bites are more than just annoying, they can make you sick. While the bites themselves cause mild irritation and itching, diseases that may be transferred as a result of a bite can lead to health concerns. Mosquitoes spread disease through their bite. When a mosquito bites, it not only sucks blood but secretes saliva. This saliva enters your blood. If infected, it passes the virus or bacteria on to the person it is biting.
Types of Mosquito-Borne Diseases in North Port, Florida
Here are some Florida mosquito-borne viruses:
- Zika Virus – This virus appeared in the news a few years back as multiple cases were reported in Florida. Symptoms of Zika are flu-like. In most cases, the symptoms are mild to no symptoms. Pregnant women infected with Zika run a higher chance of giving birth to a child with microcephaly (a birth defect causing small head size and brain abnormalities).
- Eastern Equine Encephalitis Virus – This is another mosquito virus that is making the news lately. The virus is now known to infect mammals, birds, amphibians, and reptiles. Symptoms including fever, muscle pains, and a severe headache that worsens. If the patient doesn’t recover within a couple of weeks, encephalitis-like symptoms including seizures, vomiting and neurological issues set in and coma or death may follow.
- West Nile Virus – Only about 20% of infected people show any symptoms, and less than 1% of infected people develop the most severe form of the disease. In severe cases, West Nile may lead to meningitis and encephalitis and cause permanent nerve damage, paralysis, coma or death.
- Dengue Virus – The symptoms of this disease are similar to the flu: joint pain, headaches, fever, and muscle aches. An additional symptom seen is a rash similar to measles. In severe cases, hemorrhagic fever may develop, which can be fatal.
Newest Mosquito Outbreak in Florida
- Chikungunya Virus-According to the CDC, this virus first appeared in the U.S. in 2013. The principle symptom of the Chikungunya Virus is excruciating joint pain. It’s not usually fatal, but the pain can last several weeks. the disease runs a limited course and rarely causes serious complications.
To protect yourself from mosquitoes, wear protective clothing and use insect repellents. Check your door and window screens for holes or tears and eliminate standing water near your home. All American Pest Control offers a mosquito reduction program in the North Port, Florida area to help lessen the mosquito population around your home. All American Pest Services are available to Sarasota, Siesta Key, Osprey, Nokomis, North Port, Venice, South Venice, Englewood, Laurel, Vamo, Palmetto and Bee Ridge residence and businesses.